A NEW YEAR BEGINS

With just over a week of a new year behind us we’ve seen sun, rain, experienced horrendous winds and of course ice and snow. Welcome to a Scottish winter 😂
It’s the time of year when I start to think of fresher foods. Fresh fruit and veg and salads sound just what the Dr.ordered but the cold and wet is telling me something different. I fill the fruit bowl and salad drawers but it’s warm stews and soups that my heart really desires. A happy medium required. 
A shop for fresh fruit and veg was in ordered. A butternut squash would make a good soup. With the addition of some Indian spices, garlic and ginger it would certainly be warming. I’d received Nigel Slater's new book for Christmas. I love his books. This one is so much more than just recipes. Anecdotes and stories of his life as a cook. I’m sure it will be used a lot in the coming years. 


On the subject of soups he suggested adding different things to make them a bit different. Using what you had to hand. I decided to add  a tin of cannelloni beans after I had blitzed it. So it gave a nice bit of texture.I always add the cream from the top of a tin of coconut milk so I had a nicely spiced thick creamy soup which would see us through the next few days at least. With some warmed naan bread on the side it would make a filling lunch.


A fruit salad was made to have for breakfast with my toast so I could feel good about starting the day of with a healthy option. Jams and marmalades could be left in the fridge for a bit. 
Stay healthy everyone, enjoy your warming dinners they do feel very comforting at this time of year. Spring will be here soon enough.   

HAVE a HAPPY and HEALTHY 2022.

I will do my best to blog throughout the year. Not a resolution more a task I’ve set myself.  Let’s see how it goes. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ANOTHER DAY ANOTHER HOBBY.......

Recycling a Step too Far?